Name:
Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada

I love being a husband, dad, brother and being uncle to the best nephews and nieces in the world. Macintosh computers rule.

Friday, February 03, 2006

Canada’s Universal Daycare Plan Negative Consequences

Let me first say I have nothing against a well run daycare in which provide children with well trained and caring adult supervisors, who teach children to get along. From my experience daycare does not work most of the time. I will only say that maternal parents are probably the best choice for young children and if not parents then close relatives. To me this is one of the key times when children really need their parents' support as they grow and learn about how to behave for the first time. The study about universal daycare confirms this. Of course another study will come out or some will say this or that about the current study being wrong. But what is wrong with biological parents? My friend StatsGuy gives a more analytical view at Magic Statistics. I just wonder how this might have affected our recent federal election if this study had been released say, three weeks ago?

Other links about the same study:
Study Shows Canada’s Universal Daycare Plan Has “Strikingly Negative” Consequences

CBC News: Quebec day-care program hurting kids: economists

The Globe and Mail: Study on behaviour targets Quebec's child-care system

Quebec daycare bad for children

Battle shaping up over federal daycare deal

|