Name:
Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada

I love being a husband, dad, brother and being uncle to the best nephews and nieces in the world. Macintosh computers rule.

Saturday, January 14, 2006

My mother


1921-2004
It has been two years since she has been gone. It is amazing how they are still part of my life.
When my mother passed away I was reminded of the day my father passed away. I came home with my mom from the hospital and I remember her saying, “What will I do now?...What will I do now?” In some ways this is the way I felt when my mother passed way. At twenty-one I lost my dad and then at forty-one my mother was gone. What should I do now?
I know what I will not do I will not lament the loss of my mother for my sons. I could focus on the fact that they will not have meals, visits or sleep overs with Granny. I could think on other experiences the other grandchildren had that my boys will not have with their Granny. I will talk to my boys about their Granny much like I have their Grandpa Ross. I will share stories with them and tell them of the spiritual and life lessons my mother and father taught me. Nathaniel said, “Granny is in heaven, now. Right?” He is right. I rejoice that at the end she knew who her Lord and Savior was and that He was there to guide her home.

How do I know she is heaven? Well,


If anyone has a doubt about the incarnation or Christ being a saviour then all you have to do is look to the example of my mother’s life. Jesus Christ was her Lord and saviour and that is why she was who she was. She was a humble person who learned of God’s love as a child when she walked hand in hand with her own father through the Northern Irish country side. She can now walk hand in hand with both her earthly father and her heavenly Father. She can also have “discussions” with her husband Ross again. She did not just talk the talk of Christian faith. She walked the walk! Her faith was real. Don’t remember her as a quaint old lady. That would be a disservice and a disrespect to her memory. She was a prayer warrior. Using the term “warrior” to describe my mother may sound strange but that is what she did on behalf of many people, especially her children and grandchildren. I remember coming up to bed before I was married and looking in on my mother and she was on her knees by the side of the bed praying.
As it says in Ephesians 6 verse 12 “For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.” That is what prayer can be about. Real prayer is a spiritual battle. My mother was a warrior.

|