Name:
Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada

I love being a husband, dad, brother and being uncle to the best nephews and nieces in the world. Macintosh computers rule.

Monday, February 06, 2006

Daily Encounter: Service for Monday, February 6, 2006

I share with you a devotional I subscribe to called Daily Encounter because it is directed at me as much as anyone else. I often think about service and I catch myself saying I don't know how to do that or there is probably someone else better suited. The truth is that if God wants it done, and you have the oportunity ... children's church... sunday school... preaching .... helping a sick friend.... or helping a sick stranger... whatever then get to it. Remember Matthew 25:24 "... 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.' " Anyway, I can hear my father, Ross... telling me to get off my butt...

Daily Encounter: Service for Monday, February 6, 2006

"Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we


[Christians] who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. We have different gifts, according to the grace given us" (Romans 12:4-6, NIV).

Sir Michael Costa, the celebrated conductor, was holding a rehearsal. As the mighty chorus rang out, accompanied by scores of instruments, the piccolo player—a little pint-sized flute—thinking perhaps that his contribution would not be missed amid so much music, stopped playing. Suddenly, the great leader stopped and cried out, "Where is the piccolo?"

The sound of that one small instrument was necessary to the harmony, and the conductor missed it when it dropped out. The point? To the conductor there are no insignificant instruments in an orchestra. Sometimes the smallest and seemingly least important one can make the greatest contribution and even if it doesn't seem to make that big a difference to the audience at large, the conductor knows it right away!1

In God's kingdom there is a place for everyone. There are no exceptions to this rule. Thus it is important that everyone is in his or her place if God's work on earth is going to be done harmoniously.

At times I may feel insignificant and that I can't do much for God, but as Edward Everett Hales said, "I am only one, but I am one. I can't do everything, but I can do something. The something I ought to do, I can do. And by the grace of God, I will."

|