Name:
Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada

I love being a husband, dad, brother and being uncle to the best nephews and nieces in the world. Macintosh computers rule.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Psalm 23- The Safety of Obeying and Trusting

My theme this month is Trust and Obey. As I read Psalm 23 tonight to one of my son's from his children's bible it struck me that this Psalm, is all about trusting and obeying. I have always found that the view of us humans as acting like sheep in God's eyes as being such a wonderful illustration. They are not the brightest of the barnyard animals. I think we are so often like sheep that have gone astray and followed our own way. We often need the shepherd's rod as a guide. Psalm 23 offers us many reasons for trusting and obeying, especially safety and guidance.

Psalm 23
(Contemporary English Version)


(A psalm by David.)
The Good Shepherd
1You, LORD, are my shepherd.

I will never be in need.

2You let me rest in fields

of green grass.

You lead me to streams

of peaceful water,

3and you refresh my life.

You are true to your name,

and you lead me

along the right paths.

4I may walk through valleys

as dark as death,

but I won't be afraid.

You are with me,

and your shepherd's rod [a] makes me feel safe.

5You treat me to a feast,

while my enemies watch.

You honor me as your guest,

and you fill my cup

until it overflows.

6Your kindness and love

will always be with me

each day of my life,

and I will live forever

in your house, LORD.




Footnotes:

1. Psalm 23:4 shepherd's rod: The Hebrew text mentions two objects carried by the shepherd: a club to defend against wild animals and a long pole to guide and control the sheep.

Copyright © 1995 by American Bible Society
American Bible Society Source: BibleGateway.com: A searchable online Bible in over 35 languages and 50 versions.

|