Name:
Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada

I love being a husband, dad, brother and being uncle to the best nephews and nieces in the world. Macintosh computers rule.

Sunday, August 14, 2005

'This was not such a hot idea.'

A recent article by Andrew Duffy says it all. It talks of the controversy over Mr. Martin's choice for governor general. I for one think she is a poor choice. But I am struck by the fact it could be that Ms. Jean has given up her separatist past and is a "convert" to federalism. I could live with this but what I need is something tangible like a statement from Ms. Jean, "I was mistaken. I voted the wrong way. Federalist are now number one in my books", OR "Those separatists are wrong. I see federalism as the only way"

I like what Professor Barry Cooper says at the end of the article:
"It's a matter of prudence: you have to use your common sense. And I don't know why any prime minister in their right
mind would appoint someone like that (with a separatist past) to governor general. But once he's done it, then it's pretty
much up to the rest of the country to say: 'This was not such a hot idea.' "

I agree that not much can be done now but then I guess that is the way Mr. Martin has been governing all along someone tells him or suggests an idea, he says sure and then ... boom he has regular Canadians saying why are you doing that?



Ottawa Citizen - canada.com network




Some other articles on this subject from various sources:
Globe and Mail

Edmonton Sun

Life Site

|