Name:
Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada

I love being a husband, dad, brother and being uncle to the best nephews and nieces in the world. Macintosh computers rule.

Saturday, August 13, 2005

Soup Kitchen

I had the privilege of serving food at the soup kitchen in the basement of a downtown church today. I say privilege because all I did was serve the soup with a bun and cheese. I did not make the soup. The people of all ages who use the soup kitchen thank you as they receive their soup and as they leave. I say, "You're welcome" and we all go about our lives. I am not alone as there were six other people helping. I guess I look at this serve as something the church is supposed to do. We are commanded as Christian. Christ said the people in need will always be around us (Matthew 26:11). In other there is no chance for the Star Trek society with all being fed and an ideal society set up by technology. Others have said that churches should lose their charitable status. I say go ahead. The church will in some way still do what it is suppose to do with or without charitable status. Here a borrow from my friend Ron's sermon as I say that the church has done this kind of work even before charitable status came along. Again it is because we are commanded by Christ. If you call yourself a Christian you need to make soup, buns, cookies, juice, coffee, prepare the food and be someone serves the food. I have only served at the soup kitchen about four times but every time I am struck by how it makes me feel as if I have so much and I am I doing enough to serve my Lord better each day of my life.

|